Users are searching for best alternatives of WhatsApp where they have the option of Telegram and Signal but you need to choose the best one which not compromise your privacy.
Are Signal and Telegram good enough to replace WhatsApp or both can be WhatsApp alternatives? We find out. Let’s find out the depth comparison between the three most popular messaging apps.
According to new WhatsApp policy which allows other Facebook companies to access WhatsApp user data at any time.
Even there is always a doubted on Facebook of misusing user data, now new policy of WhatsApp privacy birth many questions against Facebook over its security and user data policy. While user got to know about this since then they are searching for WhatsApp alternatives. The question is also there, are they worthy enough to be your daily social messaging app?
Both Telegram and the Signal (endorsed by world’s richest man, Elon Musk) now are the best WhatsApp alternatives. Should you switch?
WhatsApp vs Signal vs Telegram: Points you must know
According to current update: WhatsApp has the largest messaging service in the world, currently over 2 billion monthly active users. On other hand Telegram has around 400 million users, while Signal has around 20 million monthly active users.
As we can see WhatsApp stands undefeated given the number of users, so we can’t shy away from the growing popularity of Telegram and Signal as well.
This is opportunity for other messaging Apps to grow their users after WhatsApp updated their policy.
Whatever you need in a messaging App are available in WhatsApp, everything including the new in-app payment feature. Group chats also there and its work with up to 256 members. You even broadcast messages to multiple contacts anytime, also voice support and video calls for both for individuals and groups
- Group video calls (8 users at any time)
- WhatsApp Status feature (also called WhatsApp stories)
- Whatsapp allows you to share all sorts of files and documents (upto 100MB)
- Photos, videos and audio files can be shared upto 16 MB
- You can share live location with your contacts
- Backup and restore messages and data via cloud services like Google Drive and iCloud
- WhatsApp uses end to end encryption (E2E) for communication: messages, video calls, voice calls, photos and anything
- WhatsApp uses E2E protocol developed by Open Whisper Systems, same as Signal
Telegram is also gaining their users, Telegram supports to groups with up to 200,000 members. Telegram is known for its large and huge groups, Telegram offers multiple features for groups, for example polls, bots, quizzers and hashtags where you can tags accordingly, extensive for large group experiences.
- Self-destructing messages, where the message will get deleted after a point of time
- The size limit for sharing files on Telegram is 1.5 GB
- Supports voice and video call on Android and iOS devices
- Telegram supports E2E only secret chats feature
- The company confirmed it shares 0 bytes of data with third-parties or any governments till date
Coming to the latest and now days popular member, Signal also a best option, it offers secure messaging, voice and video calls with end to end encryption. You can join and create groups, but here you can’t broadcast messages to multiple contacts at once. Signal also added a feature for group calling.
- Supports self-destructing messages
- Note to Self to share your own thoughts and ideas without creating single member groups
- Signal allows relay voice calls to its servers, identity is not shared, same as using a VPN
- Signal uses back-end user-facing encryption service
- It uses the open-source Signal Protocol to implement end-to-end encryption
- Signal also encrypts your metadata offering multiple levels of security
WhatsApp vs Signal vs Telegram: Privacy Permissions, Which One Best & More Secure?
Encrypt: To put information into a special form (code) especially in order to stop people being able to look at or understand it.
So let’s check what WhatsApp do with you data. Does WhatsApp encrypt your data? Well here is the answer; WhatsApp does not encrypt backups (cloud or local). Whatsapp also does not encrypt metadata unlike Signal, which is used to carry communication between two endpoints. Let us inform you recently, Earlier WhatsApp group chats have been found to be indexed on Google search, which is a major data breach point.
Let’s talk about Telegram; Telegram does not encrypt group chats unless you use Secret Chats, which only supports single-user communication.
But again, Signal lacks a host of features as compared to both WhatsApp and Telegram. By default encrypts all the local files with a 4-digit passphrase in Signal. It also supports encrypted group calls.
Here’s list of data each of the messaging apps collects from their users: – WhatsApp Vs Signal Vs Telegram
WhatsApp Data Collection
- Device ID
- User ID
- Advertising Data
- Purchase History
- Coarse Location
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- Product Interaction
- Crash Data
- Performance Data
- Other Diagnostic Data
- Payment Info
- Customer Support
- Product Interaction
- Other User Content
Telegram Data Collection
- Contact Info
- User ID
Signal Data Collection
- It only stores your phone number
Also read : 10 Best Free Text Editors for Programmers